Who We Are
More than 1900 people work for the Ministry of Education during the school year*. Divisions within the ministry are:
- Communications Branch (part of the Deputy Minister's Office)
- Community Services I&IT Cluster
- Corporate Management and Services
- Early Years
- Education Labour Relations
- Financial Policy and Business
- French Language, Aboriginal Learning and Research
- Leadership and Learning Environment
- Learning and Curriculum
- Student Achievement
The ministry also oversees the following agencies, boards and commissions:
*Includes part-time employees and staff at provincial schools.
What We Do
Vibrant communities and a prosperous society are built on the foundation of a strong education system. By focusing on the four key goals outlined in Achieving Excellence, A Renewed Vision for Education in Ontario, we will maintain and enhance Ontario's reputation as a world leader in education.
Defining Our Renewed Goals
Achieving Excellence builds on the education system's three previous priorities: increasing student achievement, closing gaps in student achievement and increasing public confidence in publicly funded education. It encompasses these goals and reaches deeper and broader, raising expectations both for the system and for the potential of our children and students.
Our renewed goals for education are:
- Achieving Excellence: Children and students of all ages will achieve high levels of academic performance, acquire valuable skills and demonstrate good citizenship. Educators will be supported in learning continuously and will be recognized as among the best in the world.
- Ensuring Equity: All children and students will be inspired to reach their full potential, with access to rich learning experiences that begin at birth and continue into adulthood.
- Promoting Well-Being: All children and students will develop enhanced mental and physical health, a positive sense of self and belonging, and the skills to make positive choices.
- Enhancing Public Confidence: Ontarians will continue to have confidence in a publicly funded education system that helps develop new generations of confident, capable and caring citizens.
Learn more about Ontario's renewed vision for education.